radiance error message

hello

installed Radiance on a Dell Pentium III with 512 megs of ram with 5.4 gigs free on the C drive

i am using Autocad Architectural Desktop 2000i with win2000 and all the patches

i ran the test.dwg file from the Radiance site to test the install - worked fine

when i run the tutorials included on the Radiance site i get a memory error when i try to run a Simulation/Camera

exception in C:\...\deskrad.arx ARX command
unhandled exception C0000005 access violation writing at ...

when i draw a circle and place materials and one camera - that works
anything else and i get this error message

we are a SIM/VIS lab and use Lightscape, softimage ...

we are researching other light simulation study software

i do have 2 Linux boxs in production, would Radiance work better with Linux?

Gilles

i am using Autocad Architectural Desktop 2000i with win2000 and all the patches

Gilles, this is the general Radiance list. You probably want to post your errors and questions regarding Desktop Radiance to the Desktop Radiance list, for you're much more likely to get the help you're looking for.

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/DesktopRadiance/

we are researching other light simulation study software
i do have 2 Linux boxs in production, would Radiance work better with Linux?

In my experience Radiance works better as a 'full' version running under some form of Unix. I use it primarily with Cygwin on Windows.

Cygwin is a 'mini-Linux' that allows you to run some Linux tools under windows, and to port others to be able to run. It's open source, like Radiance, so it's free. Thankfully, Francesco Anselmo ported Radiance 3.5 to run under Cygwin, which gives you full Radiance abilities under windows. Here's the links to both:

http://www.cygwin.com/
http://www.dream.unipa.it/dream/pub/dot/anselmo/radiance/03.php

However there will be more of a learning curve for you with this approach, for you'll have to learn BASH Unix command-line tools as well as Radiance. I've also used Radiance with Mandrake Linux & OS X, and both worked very well. However, learning how to use the full Radiance package on Unix/Linux/Cygwin has taken me a long time, and I've got quite a ways to go. It's not the easy road, but by far the most rewarding. :slight_smile:

Also there is a commercial Radiance port for Windows called 'rayfront' that gives you a much easier to use interface for Radiance. This might be your best option off all, if Desktop Radiance doesn't work for what you need and you find the full command-line Radiance too daunting but you still want to use Radiance:

http://www.schorsch.com/

good luck!

Jeffrey

Hi!

Also there is a commercial Radiance port for Windows called 'rayfront' that gives you a much easier to use interface for Radiance. This might be your best option off all, if Desktop Radiance doesn't work for what you need and you find the full command-line Radiance too daunting but you still want to use Radiance:

http://www.schorsch.com/

Have to mention that the Rayfront distribution contains versions for Linux, Solaris and Windows... (just no Mac OS X at the moment :cry: ).

And, yes, Linux is more fun (or any other kind of ix-like os), but you won't have AutoCad on Linux (if you don't start using AutoCad on Linux with Wine, which is afaik possible).

CU Lars.

···

--
Lars O. Grobe
[email protected]

Have to mention that the Rayfront distribution contains versions for Linux, Solaris and Windows... (just no Mac OS X at the moment :cry: ).

Whoops! Sorry there. Didn't know. :slight_smile:

And, yes, Linux is more fun (or any other kind of ix-like os), but you won't have AutoCad on Linux (if you don't start using AutoCad on Linux with Wine, which is afaik possible).

Somewhat possible. It's a challenge from the research I've done, and might not really work with the newer versions of AutoCAD. I know that it doesn't work for Revit :cry:

Hey, on another note, I can't get TORAD or RADOUT to work under AutoCAD 2004/2005. Since I'm working for a Autodesk Reseller now (to have more time to devote to my own business and my pursuit of my Architect's license) I handed both off to a friend here who's way Lisp/ARX savvy (he was on the 'express tools' team) and he's gonna look them over. If he's able to fix them, I'll send them back to you. I still use them for Revit's exporting to DXF isn't finegrained enough to meet my needs, so I have to tweak layers in AutoCAD and then use TORAD/RADOUT from there to get to Radiance...

Jeffrey

Jeffrey McGrew wrote:

Rob Guglielmetti wrote:

> And, yes, Linux is more fun (or any other kind of ix-like os), but you
> won't have AutoCad on Linux (if you don't start using AutoCad on Linux
> with Wine, which is afaik possible).

Somewhat possible. It's a challenge from the research I've done, and
might not really work with the newer versions of AutoCAD. I know that
it doesn't work for Revit :cry:

If in doubt, I'd rather recommend VMware (www.vmware.com).
You'll get a full Windows system of your choice running inside
Linux, and the performance penalty is hardly noticeable. It's not
free, but after you paid $$$$$ for Autocad, the cost should be
negligible in coparison.

Hey, on another note, I can't get TORAD or RADOUT to work under
AutoCAD 2004/2005.

I don't see why Torad wouldn't work, but I haven't tried that
for a very long time. If you're really that desperate, it will
probably only require minor changes.
Btw. Rob: Torad is most likely the "nifty LISP routine" doing
the nested block unrolling. It's more than 10 years old.
Radout is basically a rewrite of that functionality in C/C++.

The current Radout binaries won't work. The binary API has
changed between 2002 and 2004, which means that ObjectARX
applications need to be recompiled against the new libraries.
Although Autodesk recently forced me to upgrade (which brought my
budget into serious danger), I haven't yet found the time to do
that. Actually, after I had to replace my computer last month,
I still need to get Vmware running again. Besides that, I'm not
sure if I also need to get a current version of VC++, and there
may be a few other dependencies. In short, anyone buying a copy
or Rayfront will help accelerate the process... :wink:

-schorsch

···

--
Georg Mischler -- simulations developer -- schorsch at schorsch com
+schorsch.com+ -- lighting design tools -- http://www.schorsch.com/

Georg Mischler wrote:

Btw. Rob: Torad is most likely the "nifty LISP routine" doing
the nested block unrolling. It's more than 10 years old.
Radout is basically a rewrite of that functionality in C/C++.

Hi Georg,
The routine I mentioned was copied from an alt.cad.autocad post many moons ago, close to ten years ago in fact (yeah, I'm old, whatever). It's possible that the unrolling routine was lifted from torad, but AFAIK this was a totally separate venture.

···

----

Rob Guglielmetti

e. [email protected]
w. www.rumblestrip.org