Probably a FAQ: Any .cal tutorials available?

Hi,

I guess many have asked this before, but is there an introduction into writing .cal-files available anywhere? I just know the "advanced topics" section of the Radiance user manual so far, and the topic is covered there by one short example only.

Thank you... Lars.

Hi Lars,

Chapter 4 in RwR as well as Rob's Chapter 3 look at a few different examples of .cal file usage. Others may know of additional resources worth mentioning.

-Greg

···

Date: December 16, 2008 8:00:39 PM PST

Hi,

I guess many have asked this before, but is there an introduction into writing .cal-files available anywhere? I just know the "advanced topics" section of the Radiance user manual so far, and the topic is covered there by one short example only.

Thank you... Lars.

Chapter 4 in RwR as well as Rob's Chapter 3 look at a few different examples of .cal file usage. Others may know of additional resources worth mentioning.

Thank You Greg,

yes, usually this is what I do, take an existing cal-file and modify it. But - I have to admit that in most cases, this is trial-and-error, I never really know what I am doing, and that is why I have been looking for an introduction really explaining step by step what is happening.

Guess I will have to find out and write it myself once I understand it :wink:

CU Lars.

I'd start with the rayinit.cal file where all the
variables are functions are defined and commented.
The function definitions there can also be seen as
mini examples for the syntax.

Regards,
Thomas

···

On 17 Dec 2008, at 04:00, Lars O. Grobe wrote:

Hi,

I guess many have asked this before, but is there an introduction into writing .cal-files available anywhere?