Photon mapping: rpict fatal - command line error at -ap

Well, it seemed to be a drift in the results, like the -av value had been increased, though I don’t think that was the cause. I’m not too worried about it to be honest, but it wouldn’t hurt to do some A/B comparisons with and without photon mapping…

The maximum PATH variable length on Windows is 2047 characters. The PATH can be edited manually by going to Start > Edit the System Environment Variables > Environment Variables… and from there selecting Path and removing the program folders that you do not use.

My own suggestion is that you remove all old versions of Radiance from the PATH. You can also remove the Radiance lib folder from the PATH, which many installers seem to include there even though the lib folder contains no programs.

As an aside, I have never noticed any negative consequences from having a PATH variable longer than 2047 characters, and you can still add a new Radiance version to the PATH manually. It’s just that the installer won’t edit the PATH if it notices the PATH length exceeds the limit.

1 Like

Thank you! It works!
I removed all the Radiance from the PATH and reinstalled 5.4a. the warning message was disappeared, and rpict is up-to-date now!