opengl and mac

Greg,
I installed without problem the new version of radiance in my mac and use it with X11 ver. 1.03
commands like "rad -o x11" work fine but all the commands like "glrad" that need opengl are not responding.
As you are a mac user I would like to know if you found a way to resolve this problem.
Thanks. genevieve.

Hello Genevieve,

I confess to a certain amount of ignorance regarding the OpenGL implementation under Mac OS X. Are you using the X11 beta server from Apple with the precompiled Radiance 3.5 binaries? What, precisely, are you using, on what machine, etc. I might have a better idea if I know the details, and I might not. Others might if I don't.

-Greg

···

Date: Mon Mar 31, 2003 4:17:10 PM US/Pacific
To: [email protected]
Subject: [Radiance-general] opengl and mac
Reply-To: [email protected]

Greg,
I installed without problem the new version of radiance in my mac and use it with X11 ver. 1.03
commands like "rad -o x11" work fine but all the commands like "glrad" that need opengl are not responding.
As you are a mac user I would like to know if you found a way to resolve this problem.
Thanks. genevieve.

Greg Ward wrote:

Hello Genevieve,

I confess to a certain amount of ignorance regarding the OpenGL implementation under Mac OS X. Are you using the X11 beta server from Apple with the precompiled Radiance 3.5 binaries? What, precisely, are you using, on what machine, etc. I might have a better idea if I know the details, and I might not. Others might if I don't.

I confess to a great deal of ignorance regarding OGL under OS X. But I recall watching Pillo playing with rholo on his iBook at the Workshop. Pillo, can you help us all out here? =8-)

···

----

Rob Guglielmetti

e. [email protected]
w. www.rumblestrip.org

bad news.....
pillo's here....:((((
.... but without any kind of solution (I confess to a great deal of ignorance regarding everything under OS X)

1) at the workshop I was running rholo via software rendering (not OGL based)
2) I was running rholo at the workshop only because Jack told me how to do this (thanks Jack)
3) what about next workshop?

see you!!

···

On Tuesday, April 1, 2003, at 04:37 PM, Rob Guglielmetti wrote:

Greg Ward wrote:

Hello Genevieve,

I confess to a great deal of ignorance regarding OGL under OS X. But I recall watching Pillo playing with rholo on his iBook at the Workshop. Pillo, can you help us all out here? =8-)

----

Rob Guglielmetti

e. [email protected]
w. www.rumblestrip.org

Just to put this into context for those of you Mac OS X users who may be worried by it... The distributed binaries work with Jaguar (Mac OS X 10.2 and later), and include the necessary drivers for X11 and OpenGL. You need only download the beta release of the X11 server from Apple's website to get the whole thing operational. From my experience, hardware support for OpenGL rendering is pretty good with the Apple server.

The issues here were raised by someone who needs to recompile 3.5 under Mac OS X 10.1, which uses a different set of libraries. There, it is difficult to find the appropriate Xlib library to link to, as Apple (stupidly) doesn't include it with their gcc compiler.

-Greg

···

Date: Tue Apr 1, 2003 12:28:30 PM US/Pacific
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: [Radiance-general] Re: opengl and mac
Reply-To: [email protected]

bad news.....
pillo's here....:((((
.... but without any kind of solution (I confess to a great deal of ignorance regarding everything under OS X)

1) at the workshop I was running rholo via software rendering (not OGL based)
2) I was running rholo at the workshop only because Jack told me how to do this (thanks Jack)
3) what about next workshop?

see you!!

It looks like X11 needs XGL to run OpenGL and this library is not included in the actual distribution of the beta version.
So OpenGl in mac is fine, X11 works but.. I will have to wait for this library.
Bye.
genevieve

i just want to add some news: it works!!!!!
my mac: ibook (ati 128 8Mb) + jaguar 10.2.4 + X11beta3
just opened the folder ray/obj/cabin and launched 'make nholo' on the terminal
as you can see the make file refers to rholo OGL based.

NB. use x11 terminal or:
type on macosx terminal:
setenv DISPLAY localhost:0 ; setenv DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH
to launch x11 graphics directly (you must start x11 application before...)

see you...

···

On Wednesday, April 2, 2003, at 03:55 PM, genevieve lucet wrote:

It looks like X11 needs XGL to run OpenGL and this library is not included in the actual distribution of the beta version.
So OpenGl in mac is fine, X11 works but.. I will have to wait for this library.
Bye.
genevieve

pillo wrote:

i just want to add some news: it works!!!!!
my mac: ibook (ati 128 8Mb) + jaguar 10.2.4 + X11beta3
just opened the folder ray/obj/cabin and launched 'make nholo' on the terminal
as you can see the make file refers to rholo OGL based.

Thanks Pillo! I just upgraded to Beta3, and the cabin scene is twirling around on my Power Book right now.

It is fascinating to watch the image refine interractively like this. It's really instructive; in a way it helps me understand how the whole ray tracing process works, much in the same manner as watching Lightscape process a radiosity solution helps one understand the radiosity method. For example, it's interesting to see how after you zoom in on an already refined area, the diffuse materials get to reuse a lot of the samples, whereas the specular ones have to start over. Watching the subtle shading effects we have become accustomed to seeing in Radiance images slowly bubble up from what is initially a crude, pointillistic rendering, is truly fascinating to observe.

Well, I find it interesting. =8-)

···

----

Rob Guglielmetti

e. [email protected]
w. www.rumblestrip.org