octree-instance efficiency with simple geometry but mapped images?

Hi!

My first mail to this list since a long time... I have moved (I am studying in Turkey now for one year) and internet access is not that easy for me at the moment :wink:

I have a model with lots of mapings here. I have set it up now by creating instances of its parts as octrees. I was told that with simple geometry it is more efficient not to use octrees for istances because of the overhead. However, I was thinking that with a large image map attached to this geometry, I will save memory by doing this. Am I right with this assumption?

CU Lars.

Hi Lars,

Image maps (as used in "colorpict" primitives) are shared no matter their source or means of appearance in the scene file, so there is no additional benefit to using the instance primitive in this case.

-Greg

···

Date: Fri Oct 17, 2003 12:59:35 AM US/Pacific

Hi!

My first mail to this list since a long time... I have moved (I am studying in Turkey now for one year) and internet access is not that easy for me at the moment :wink:

I have a model with lots of mapings here. I have set it up now by creating instances of its parts as octrees. I was told that with simple geometry it is more efficient not to use octrees for istances because of the overhead. However, I was thinking that with a large image map attached to this geometry, I will save memory by doing this. Am I right with this assumption?

CU Lars.