objview & rvu -n

Hi Greg, et al.,

I have been playing with the new -n (#proc) switch you added to rvu. That is really, really nice. I use objview all the time to preview scenes, set views and check geometry, and the speedup on our quad core machines is really great! I thought I might be able to hack objview to support this new switch, but it looks like objview relies on rad to create the scene and defaults to x11 as the output, spawning rvu. Is there a way to pass the number of processors available to the new rvu, via an objview command?

I see you can also pass one of the standard rad views in lieu of the default XYZ; is there a way to specify a saved view, or is this a limitation of the way the script is all pipelined through rad? This is the first time I've really looked at the objview script, and I don't immediately see a way to get the desired options sent to rvu.

Sure, Rob.

Just add "-N 4" to the "set opts=" line near the top of objview. The rad program passes whatever is set with -N to the new rvu -n option.

As for using a saved view, the syntax:

objview -v "-vf myview.vf" octree

should work, but it doesn't because I forgot to put quotes around the argument to the -v option. On line 35 of objview, fix it to:

set vw="$argv[1]"

Hopefully, that will work. (I'll fix this for the next release and add a -N option as well.)

-Greg

···

Date: November 20, 2008 3:34:02 PM PST

Hi Greg, et al.,

I have been playing with the new -n (#proc) switch you added to rvu. That is really, really nice. I use objview all the time to preview scenes, set views and check geometry, and the speedup on our quad core machines is really great! I thought I might be able to hack objview to support this new switch, but it looks like objview relies on rad to create the scene and defaults to x11 as the output, spawning rvu. Is there a way to pass the number of processors available to the new rvu, via an objview command?
I see you can also pass one of the standard rad views in lieu of the default XYZ; is there a way to specify a saved view, or is this a limitation of the way the script is all pipelined through rad? This is the first time I've really looked at the objview script, and I don't immediately see a way to get the desired options sent to rvu.

1 Like

Greg Ward wrote:

Sure, Rob.

Just add "-N 4" to the "set opts=" line near the top of objview. The rad program passes whatever is set with -N to the new rvu -n option.

Worked great...

should work, but it doesn't because I forgot to put quotes around the argument to the -v option. On line 35 of objview, fix it to:

set vw="$argv[1]"

This worked a treat as well! thanks Greg! This will get confusing; for setting processors number you will use -N for objview and -n when calling rvu directly, but I'll live. =8-) You've made my day.

- Rob

Yes, I would have used '-n' for rad as well, but that option was already taken.

-Greg

···

Date: November 21, 2008 9:22:19 AM PST

Greg Ward wrote:

Sure, Rob.

Worked great...

set vw="$argv[1]"

This worked a treat as well! thanks Greg! This will get confusing; for setting processors number you will use -N for objview and -n when calling rvu directly, but I'll live. =8-) You've made my day.

- Rob