no response

Hi all again, i've got no answers to my questions, and i am wondering if i am doing something wrong.
can i make a wxwindows version of radiance? can it be comercial? is radiance open source? do you see something bad?

please answer me, i'm a bit disapointed, probably radiance is the most amazing program i've ever seen, and i'm greg's fan.

please, If i'm disturbing anybody i would like to know it

Ignacio Munárriz wrote:

Hi all again, i've got no answers to my questions, and i am wondering if i am doing something wrong.
can i make a wxwindows version of radiance?

Sure. A nicer GUI would be good. And the non-X11 (Windows and OS/X) users would probably like a native replacement for rview/rvu.

can it be comercial? is radiance open source? do you see something bad?

The license (http://radsite.lbl.gov/radiance/misc/license.txt) appears to be something like the BSD license. I'm not a lawyer though, and don't even play one on TV. But it looks like you can take the source code and do pretty much anything you want, just keep a little copyright notice somewhere.

One thing to remember is that reputation is everything in the Open Source world. Act like a jerk and people here won't help you. But play nice (like say, adding value and providing an actual service) and so will everyone else. Basically don't leach off of the free developers. And giving something back to the community is always good for relations.

please answer me, i'm a bit disapointed, probably radiance is the most amazing program i've ever seen, and i'm greg's fan.

Me too! :slight_smile:

bye

Hi Ignacio,

Sorry for the lack of response, but the dev list is often pretty quiet compared to radiance-general. Your questions are appropriate to this list, though, so we should probably keep this discussion here for now.

My personal excuse for not responding to your post is that I tend to ignore all things Windows. I didn't even know what "wxWindows" was before looking it up on the web this morning, so I didn't feel I had much to offer the discussion. In general, I don't like to parade my ignorance on this list, as it tends to undermine my image as "the guy who knows what he's talking about."

Nevertheless, I do want to see a standard Windows version of Radiance get out sometime soon. It's been way too long coming, and I'm getting really tired of hearing desperate questions from Desktop Radiance users. It's great to see someone taking the work Schorsch has done and putting it to good use.

With that, let me pull up some of your old e-mails...

Date: May 2, 2005 3:32:30 AM PDT

Hi, here is a screenshot of my .000001 version of nrv, a wxwindows opengl radiance viewer
http://www.alfanature.com/avis/screen.jpg

Looks very nice, though I'm wondering what your intentions are relative to other CAD methods for editing Radiance descriptions, such as the export function Francesco Anselmo has written for Blender:

http://www.dream.unipa.it/dream/pub/dot/anselmo/radiance/06.php

What are your motivations, goals, etc.? Without spelling some of these things out, it's difficult to know when and how others might help you.

Now, it comes the hard part, implement real time scene object manipulation, radiance code is not intended for objects manipulation in memory, and parse rad files in each change, ie, if i have a genbox in a rad file when i oconv it, the genbox command is lost, so i need a parser for rad files and a way to connect them with actual objects stored in memory, i've thought to make a lookup table with rad line numbers and objects, but i am a bit lost

any advise?

If I were trying to maintain a native Radiance description in an editor, I'd probably require the user or CAD system isolate objects in separate scene files. My editor would then place these with the appropriate xform's or instances (a la replmarks) in the main scene, possibly building a hierarchy. I wouldn't attempt to parse all the various scene-generating commands in Radiance, particularly because users are allowed and encouraged to write their own.

Date: May 25, 2005 7:34:25 AM PDT

Hi all, i'm yet working in a wxwindows application for interactive opengl viewing mixing glrad and rview, for rview i am using a separate process with rtrace, so i dont get idle the main application, but i have a problem when i change the view(interative) all the values sended to rtrace must be erased, i've thinked to use the rtrace persistent mode but it doesn't go under windows(F_SETLKW undefined) is'nt it?

Yes, I think that the persistent mode of rtrace and rpict have been a persistent problem under Windows, so to speak. Why don't you simply track which rays belong with which views, and discard returned rays from the previous view(s)? That way, you don't have to restart rtrace, which is bound to be a lot more expensive than discarding a few rays. So long as your input queue to rtrace is held to a reasonable length, i.e., the average number of rays it computes in a second, the delay should be tolerable. This is the approach I take in rholo, for instance.

Date: May 27, 2005 2:19:00 AM PDT

can i make a wxwindows version of radiance? can it be comercial? is radiance open source? do you see something bad?

No, it's just that Schorsch and I are the main responders on this list, and as I have explained I tend to leave Windows stuff for Schorsch. His response pattern is month-long periods of silence followed by a burst of activity, and I assume this reflects his workload. Don't take it personally -- I never do.

I'm not sure if Radiance fits the strictest definition of OpenSource, but there are no restrictions in the license on its use, only the usual disclaimers. Ian is right that you can do pretty much whatever you like with it, so long as the original license accompanies any redistribution.

-Greg

Even one simplistic reference Windows implementation
of rview would probably be a good idea.

Tony

···

--- Greg Ward <[email protected]> wrote:

Nevertheless, I do want to see a standard Windows
version of Radiance get out sometime soon. It's
been way too long coming, and I'm
getting really tired of hearing desperate questions
from Desktop Radiance users.

No, it's just that Schorsch and I are the main
responders on this list, and as I have explained I >

tend to leave Windows stuff for Schorsch. His

response pattern is month-long periods of silence
followed by a burst of activity, and I assume this
reflects his workload. Don't take it personally -->

I never do.

That's what they keep telling me about all my classic
corporate America bosses. Oh, they are so busy! Don't
take it personally that he is mostly concerned with
his own bank account :slight_smile:

In that spirit Greg, I think you should open up more
to the corporate USA platform of choice - Windows.

Just a joke! Happy Memorial Day weekend!

Tony

···

--- Greg Ward <[email protected]> wrote: