Next year's workshop

Thanks to all who came to this year's workshop, especially to Jan Wienold and Sandra Mende who did an excellent job on organization. Thank you also to the presenters -- I thought this was a very interesting set of new developments this year from multiple quarters!

On the topic of next year's workshop, we have two proposals:

A) The first is from LBNL to host the 10th Radiance workshop in Berkeley, California, where it was last held in 2003.

B) The second proposal is from Raphaël Compagnon, the host of the first workshop in 2002, who forwarded an offer from SERIS to host next year's workshop in Singapore. The workshop has never been held in Asia.

We had an informal vote at the workshop, and there seemed to be some interest in both venues, with a slight leaning towards Berkeley. I didn't think it fair to make a decision on the spot, however, since many parts of the world were under-represented in the audience. So, I am writing to the general list in hopes of getting some further opinions and eventually reaching a consensus on the matter, so that plans may be laid. In particular, I wonder who would be able to make it to a workshop in Singapore, given airfares and funding approval, etc.

At the same time, if people have a preference for dates, please speak now. We are looking either at late August or early October if the workshop is held at LBNL. I don't know if SERIS has a preferred time -- perhaps Raphaël can fill us in on that?

Finally, I need to clarify a misunderstanding I seem to have caused by an earlier e-mail regarding LBNL funding. While it is true that there is money this fiscal year to further Radiance developments, LBNL is not hiring at present nor looking to spend the funds elsewhere, as the positions that were available at the beginning of the year are now filled, and the funds have been earmarked for projects already underway.

However, if other research organizations are interested in cost-sharing collaboration (i.e., each institution covers its own expenses and personnel), this could be possible if the project goals are suitably aligned. This is nothing new, except for the fact that there is significant ongoing work now at LBNL, particularly in the area of complex fenestration, controls, and annual simulation.

Best,
-Greg

Berkeley would be good, thank you for asking.

Regards

Andrew

···

Cundall Light4
Direct: 0161 200 1235
Mobile: 07899 907 978
Office: 0161 244 5660
 Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Gregory J. Ward
Sent: 28 September 2010 02:23
To: Radiance general discussion
Subject: [Radiance-general] Next year's workshop

Thanks to all who came to this year's workshop, especially to Jan Wienold and Sandra Mende who did an excellent job on organization. Thank you also to the presenters -- I thought this was a very interesting set of new developments this year from multiple quarters!

On the topic of next year's workshop, we have two proposals:

A) The first is from LBNL to host the 10th Radiance workshop in Berkeley, California, where it was last held in 2003.

B) The second proposal is from Raphaël Compagnon, the host of the first workshop in 2002, who forwarded an offer from SERIS to host next year's workshop in Singapore. The workshop has never been held in Asia.

We had an informal vote at the workshop, and there seemed to be some interest in both venues, with a slight leaning towards Berkeley. I didn't think it fair to make a decision on the spot, however, since many parts of the world were under-represented in the audience. So, I am writing to the general list in hopes of getting some further opinions and eventually reaching a consensus on the matter, so that plans may be laid. In particular, I wonder who would be able to make it to a workshop in Singapore, given airfares and funding approval, etc.

At the same time, if people have a preference for dates, please speak now. We are looking either at late August or early October if the workshop is held at LBNL. I don't know if SERIS has a preferred time -- perhaps Raphaël can fill us in on that?

Finally, I need to clarify a misunderstanding I seem to have caused by an earlier e-mail regarding LBNL funding. While it is true that there is money this fiscal year to further Radiance developments, LBNL is not hiring at present nor looking to spend the funds elsewhere, as the positions that were available at the beginning of the year are now filled, and the funds have been earmarked for projects already underway.

However, if other research organizations are interested in cost-sharing collaboration (i.e., each institution covers its own expenses and personnel), this could be possible if the project goals are suitably aligned. This is nothing new, except for the fact that there is significant ongoing work now at LBNL, particularly in the area of complex fenestration, controls, and annual simulation.

Best,
-Greg

Cundall Johnston & Partners LLP is a limited liability partnership registered in England and Wales.Registered number OC300389.
Registered office: Horsley House, Regent Centre, Gosforth, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE3 3LU
Privilege and Confidentiality Notice: Use of this email and any attachments is subject to the terms on our Website at http://www.cundall.com/email.htm
If you cannot access these terms, please email [email protected] with SEND TERMS in the subject heading or telephone +44 (0191) 213 1515 and we will send you a copy.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This email message has been scanned for viruses by Mimecast. For more information please visit http://www.mimecast.com

Somewhat early, but I'd like to propose that the 2012 Workshop be help at DMU, Leicester, UK. The Workshop has only been held once before in the UK (2006) and we had a pretty good attendance. Perhaps this might be a consideration in deciding where to have the 2011 Workshop -- opinions invited.

-John

···

-----------------------------------------------
Dr. John Mardaljevic
Reader in Daylight Modelling
Institute of Energy and Sustainable Development
De Montfort University
The Gateway
Leicester
LE1 9BH, UK
+44 (0) 116 257 7972
+44 (0) 116 257 7981 (fax)

[email protected]
http://www.iesd.dmu.ac.uk/~jm

That sounds good John, maybe an Olympic theme to the presentations.

Regards

Andrew

···

Cundall Light4
Direct: 0161 200 1235
Mobile: 07899 907 978
Office: 0161 244 5660
 Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of John Mardaljevic
Sent: 28 September 2010 09:55
To: [email protected]
Subject: [Radiance-general] Next year's workshop

Somewhat early, but I'd like to propose that the 2012 Workshop be help at DMU, Leicester, UK. The Workshop has only been held once before in the UK (2006) and we had a pretty good attendance. Perhaps this might be a consideration in deciding where to have the 2011 Workshop -- opinions invited.

-John

-----------------------------------------------
Dr. John Mardaljevic
Reader in Daylight Modelling
Institute of Energy and Sustainable Development
De Montfort University
The Gateway
Leicester
LE1 9BH, UK
+44 (0) 116 257 7972
+44 (0) 116 257 7981 (fax)

[email protected]
http://www.iesd.dmu.ac.uk/~jm

Cundall Johnston & Partners LLP is a limited liability partnership registered in England and Wales.Registered number OC300389.
Registered office: Horsley House, Regent Centre, Gosforth, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE3 3LU
Privilege and Confidentiality Notice: Use of this email and any attachments is subject to the terms on our Website at http://www.cundall.com/email.htm
If you cannot access these terms, please email [email protected] with SEND TERMS in the subject heading or telephone +44 (0191) 213 1515 and we will send you a copy.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This email message has been scanned for viruses by Mimecast. For more information please visit http://www.mimecast.com

Wow. It seems we are faced with an embarrassment of riches, with multiple attractive offers for hosting next year's workshop -- and the year after that!

I'm going to suggest we have a period for proposals and discussions, after which we'll ask people to vote for their favorites. I'm going to make it about "attendance probability" rather than absolute preference, asking people to predict their chances of attending the workshop next year based on each of the choices offered. After all, what matters most is that we get ourselves together for a healthy exchange. Exotic surroundings are great, but not if only a few people can make it. I hope there is agreement on this much.

So, let's give ourselves until the end of October to discuss proposals, make our pleas and lobby for our favorites, then we'll put it to a vote during the month of November. I will take the responsibility of setting up a website where people can cast their ballots for next year. I'm going to leave the 2012 decision for 2011, if that's OK with everyone. If we do end up in Singapore next year, I'm going to propose that 2012 be on the North American continent.

Best,
-Greg