New installation

Hi everyone;
I'm new to this mailing list and new to Radiance.
I'm an architect in Chicago, Il and I'm running ARRIS ( an architectural CAD program ) on a Sun Microsystems Ultra-45 and Solaris 10. I have to say that it runs extremely well. I now have the capability to do 3D modelling the way I always wanted to. And now I want to render my models on the SUN. It is difficult to find rendering software to run on this platform ( other than Blender) And sometimes it's difficult to install. That's where I am with Radiance. I'm having difficulty installing Radiance on the Sun. Can you help me out? I've downloaded the files, unzipped them and tried to run "makeall" as it described in the "Readme" file. But it will not run. I've tried just 'clicking' on the icon, (nothing), I've tried opening a shell and command-line, (nothing), I've tried both ways as 'user' and 'root' (nothing). What am I missing?
Please send help
Bill Rock

On 11/01/08, 15:38:04, wjr wrote regarding
[Radiance-general] New installation :

Hello Bill,

I'm an architect in Chicago, Il and I'm running ARRIS ( an
architectural CAD program ) on a Sun Microsystems Ultra-45 and
Solaris 10. I have to say that it runs extremely well. I now have
the capability to do 3D modelling the way I always wanted to. And
now I want to render my models on the SUN. It is difficult to find
rendering software to run on this platform ( other than Blender)
And sometimes it's difficult to install. That's where I am with
Radiance. I'm having difficulty installing Radiance on the Sun.
Can you help me out? I've downloaded the files, unzipped them and
tried to run "makeall" as it described in the "Readme" file. But it
will not run. I've tried just 'clicking' on the icon, (nothing),
I've tried opening a shell and command-line, (nothing), I've tried
both ways as 'user' and 'root' (nothing). What am I missing?

http://www.blastwave.org/packages.php/radiance

James.

[...] And now I want to render my models on the SUN. It is difficult to find rendering software to run on this platform ( other than Blender) And sometimes it's difficult to install.

I'm sure you should find quite a few rendering packages in the open source
corner that would even work on Solaris. They might not be all that easy to
use, though. But then neither is Radiance.

That's where I am with Radiance. I'm having difficulty installing Radiance on the Sun. Can you help me out? I've downloaded the files, unzipped them and tried to run "makeall" as it described in the "Readme" file. But it will not run.

First thing: You need to have development tools installed (c-compiler, etc).

Second: It should be "makeall install" (but I think that's what you wanted to say).

Third: It certainly did not do "nothing". The command line "makeall install" will have
some sort of result. Even a "command not found" would tell us more about your problems.

I've tried just 'clicking' on the icon, (nothing),

Forget about the mouse. Radiance will be a whole new (command line) experience.

I've tried opening a shell and command-line, (nothing), I've tried both ways as 'user' and 'root' (nothing). What am I missing?

More details about your system (development tools) and the reaction of the shell
when you try to run "makeall install"

Please send help

Please send details :wink:

Regards,
Thomas

ยทยทยท

On 11 Jan 2008, at 15:38, wjr wrote:

Forget about the mouse. Radiance will be a whole new (command line) experience.

Was there some Radiance integration for ARRIS? Have to remember....

One note to Bill: There are two ways: compiling yourself and installing precompiled. I do not even know what way you went, because you did not tell us what package you downloaded where. There used to be compiled Radicance binaries for Solaris on the official site, but I am not sure for which releases and platforms. So, as others already wrote, first get compilers (you can get the optimized C compilers for free from Sun, do not waste your time with gcc on a Solaris installation), than makeall install. I used to install into /opt/radiance-max.min on Solaris as this was the way most packages where handled on my Sun.

Good luch! CU Lars.