moving hardware

Hi folks,

rather than tracing rays, we'll be moving hardware for a change:

The radiance-online server will be physically shipped from Freiburg, DE to Berkeley, CA at some time this week (starting approximately tomorrow) and be re-connected there (provided it arrives intact, doesn't get blown up at customs, etc, etc.). Rather than bothering with configuring new hardware, it seemed easier just to sent the ****** thing in-toto as a start.
However, obviously, there will be a slight technical delay in between. Emails sent to the server will be queued at your email provider (and may generate a delay warning) and web access will be suprisingly slow during the transport phase.

Many thanks to the daylighting group at Fraunhofer ISE for funding this transport and thereby easing the transition, to the ISE IT department for their provider role since 2001 and to Danny Fuller at LBNL for caring for it in the future.

And, most important, to all you guys who compiled questions or assembled answers and kept the mailing list active. Keep it up, we'll be back online within sight of the Bay- and GoldenGate bridge.

cheers
Peter

···

--
pab-opto, Freiburg, Germany, http://www.pab-opto.de
[see web page to check digital email signature]

I think we all owe Peter a big round of thanks for all he has done with radiance-online over the years. I hope it's not too long before the site is up again!

-Greg

···

Date: May 21, 2007 10:51:32 AM PDT

Hi folks,

The radiance-online server will be physically shipped from Freiburg, DE to Berkeley, CA at some time this week (starting approximately tomorrow) and be re-connected there (provided it arrives intact, doesn't get blown up at customs, etc, etc.). Rather than bothering with configuring new hardware, it seemed easier just to sent the ****** thing in-toto as a start.
However, obviously, there will be a slight technical delay in between. Emails sent to the server will be queued at your email provider (and may generate a delay warning) and web access will be suprisingly slow during the transport phase.

Many thanks to the daylighting group at Fraunhofer ISE for funding this transport and thereby easing the transition, to the ISE IT department for their provider role since 2001 and to Danny Fuller at LBNL for caring for it in the future.

And, most important, to all you guys who compiled questions or assembled answers and kept the mailing list active. Keep it up, we'll be back online within sight of the Bay- and GoldenGate bridge.

cheers
Peter

Gregory J. Ward wrote:

I think we all owe Peter a big round of thanks for all he has done with radiance-online over the years. I hope it's not too long before the site is up again!

Agreed! Thanks Peter, this list has been a very valuable resource and I know I refer to the archives regularly, I'm sure many others here do as well.

Gregory J. Ward wrote:

Agreed! Thanks Peter, this list has been a very valuable resource and I know I refer to the archives regularly, I'm sure many others here do as well.

I agree as well, radiance-online is my top-favorite on every browser and the most used reference manual for Radiance since many years. Thanks for keeping the server up Peter!

-Iebele

Me too... thanks Peter. While I never had to consult the list asking questions, it always was great to be able to help others, so I cannot wait for getting a response on "ping www.radiance-online.org" again.

:wink:

Lars.

Hi All,

The community that has developed through radiance-online.org is really remarkable. There is a huge amount of knowledge and talent available here. I think that Peter's work over the years to develop, maintain and support radiance-online.org has played a huge role in revitalizing and invigorating the Radiance community, we all owe him significant gratitude for this. Thanks Peter!

Best,

-Jack de Valpine

Gregory J. Ward wrote:

···

-Greg

Hi folks,

cheers
Peter

Muchas gracias Peter,
ignacio

Jack de Valpine escribi�:

···

Hi All,

The community that has developed through radiance-online.org is really remarkable. There is a huge amount of knowledge and talent available here. I think that Peter's work over the years to develop, maintain and support radiance-online.org has played a huge role in revitalizing and invigorating the Radiance community, we all owe him significant gratitude for this. Thanks Peter!

Best,

-Jack de Valpine

Gregory J. Ward wrote:

-Greg

Hi folks,

cheers
Peter

Yes, thank you, Peter. Thanks a lot and a big 'Danke schoen!' for the time
and work you put into radiance-online.org. I think the server has been
central in forming the Radiance community and Im glad it will continue
it's role as communication central.

I hope you will find more time now for your photometry business.

Thomas

···

On 22 May 2007, at 18:56, Gregory J. Ward wrote:

-Greg