Making a material invisible

Hello,

for speeding up different renderings of a sunshading device it's very easy to switch the material of the device and see what is the impact (like changing color, trancemittance and so on). but...

i also want to make one rendering without this sunshading device and i don't want to make changes in the drawing. so i want to make it invisible!

i've tried the following materialsettings:

# invisible: invisible : test
# 0
void interface invisible
8 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1

and

# invisible2: invisible2: test2
# 0
void trans invisible2
7 1 1 1 0 0 1 1

but if i'm comparing the results (with findglare and glarndx) after removing the sunshading device the results are all slightly different. what is a good way to simulate an invisible material, without interfering the sun and light?

thanx in advance
with regards,
Waldo Bont

Student at the University of Technology Delft, Civil Engineering, Building Physics.
Employee at engineeringcompany moBius consult

The simplest way is to apply the modifier "void" to the invisible objects.

For instance this defines an invisible square:

void polygon invisible_square
         -1 -1 0
          1 -1 0
          1 1 0
         -1 1 0

···

At 26.09.2003 14:28, you wrote:

what is a good way to simulate an invisible material, without interfering the sun and light?

Hello Raphael,

thnx for your fast reply.

you answered:

The simplest way is to apply the modifier "void" to >the invisible objects.

For instance this defines an invisible square:

void polygon invisible_square
    -1 -1 0
     1 -1 0
     1 1 0
    -1 1 0

what is a good way to simulate an invisible material, without
interfering the sun and light?

and it is a correct answer to my question (so my question wasn't that perfect). i don't want to make the surface (your polygon) invisible, but i want to give the surface itself a material (like trans, plastic, interface) to make the surface act as being just "air".

maybe it helps to tell you i've been drawing the room in SCRIBE, which is the drawingprogram in ADELINE 3.0. so i already made the drawing, but now i want to put the sunshading device "on" (in the context of visible) and "off" (in the contect of invisible), whitout having to change my drawing in SCRIBE. For testing and comparing my "off" results i had to remove the sunshading device in SCRIBE but it's not an easy way. The results of my invisible materialsimulation are different from the one after i had removed the sunshading device in SCRIBE. The differences are not large.

thanks in advance again
Waldo

···

At 26.09.2003 14:28, you wrote:

Hi Waldo,

Raphael's answer is correct, but if you need a material that is completely transparent instead of a void surface, use the following specification, instead:

void trans completely_clear
7 1 1 1 0 0 1 1

-Greg

···

Date: Fri Sep 26, 2003 6:27:40 AM US/Pacific

and it is a correct answer to my question (so my question wasn't that perfect). i don't want to make the surface (your polygon) invisible, but i want to give the surface itself a material (like trans, plastic, interface) to make the surface act as being just "air".

maybe it helps to tell you i've been drawing the room in SCRIBE, which is the drawingprogram in ADELINE 3.0. so i already made the drawing, but now i want to put the sunshading device "on" (in the context of visible) and "off" (in the contect of invisible), whitout having to change my drawing in SCRIBE. For testing and comparing my "off" results i had to remove the sunshading device in SCRIBE but it's not an easy way. The results of my invisible materialsimulation are different from the one after i had removed the sunshading device in SCRIBE. The differences are not large.

thanks in advance again
Waldo

Hi Waldo,

I'm afraid I didn't read your original posting before sending my last response -- it seems you already used the trans specification I recommended. In fact, this should be completely transparent. If you are seeing differences in your results, I suspect these are due to randomness in the calculation, and not due to interactions with this material.

-Greg

···

Date: Fri Sep 26, 2003 5:28:17 AM US/Pacific

Hello,

for speeding up different renderings of a sunshading device it's very easy to switch the material of the device and see what is the impact (like changing color, trancemittance and so on). but...

i also want to make one rendering without this sunshading device and i don't want to make changes in the drawing. so i want to make it invisible!

i've tried the following materialsettings:

# invisible: invisible : test
# 0
void interface invisible
8 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1

and

# invisible2: invisible2: test2
# 0
void trans invisible2
7 1 1 1 0 0 1 1

but if i'm comparing the results (with findglare and glarndx) after removing the sunshading device the results are all slightly different. what is a good way to simulate an invisible material, without interfering the sun and light?

thanx in advance
with regards,
Waldo Bont

Student at the University of Technology Delft, Civil Engineering, Building Physics.
Employee at engineeringcompany moBius consult