Mac OS10.3 installation probs / HEAD download

alex Summerfield wrote:

Hi

Ok sorry if this is a stupid question but here goes...

Got a new HD and decided to do a clean install of 10.3 and to reinstall Radiance.
(I'd been using it without xwindows).

Initially just did radiance-rad3R5.tgz
- didn't worry about the auxilary files because apparently that's just 'images' (a major understatement).

well, mate. It says "e.g. images" not "just images" . Quote:

Steps to install Radiance from source:

1. download one CVS tar ball (stable or pre-release version)
       2. download tar ball of auxilary files
       3. unpack both tar balls (unpacks to directory /ray/) : |gunzip <
          /file/ | tar xf -|
       4. |cd ray; makeall install|

Let me know how the clearity of that could be enhanced and I add it.
The reason to split is that the "aux" files don't change as frequently as some parts of the source do. So, to be updated, folks just need the nightly "HEAD" version and not the whole bunch. (In fact only the diff patches are needed for those still behind a slow modem line).

Radiance installs and works fine - except.. missing all the useful stuff such as 'pfilt' 'pcond', and a zillion other goodies all in the rad3R5supp.tar.gz - but this doesn't have an install program.

OK so when the 2 downloads are unpacked i have 2 directories 'ray' and ' ray1' (auxilary files).

They both unpack into a subdir 'ray' . Your "ray1" is generated by your download/unpack program, presumably to intelligently avoid cluttering the already existing subdir 'ray' .

Almost seems as though I need to go through ray1 and shift the various programs across to their corresponding directory in ray. (can't be right, can it?).

I resorted to the LBNL download (which isn't split) but then hit a whole bunch of compilation errors (the installer is pretty different there too - for instance it doesn't ask for the users system or where library files should go). Spent a long time on trying to solve possible causes without much luck...

I don't know if and how the packages at LBNL are updated.

-Peter

···

--
pab-opto, Freiburg, Germany, www.pab-opto.de

Thanks Peter mate!

What can I say apart from mea culpa and 'doh'!
Well it had been long arduous night resurrecting my machine exactly as i had it prior to the clean install...
Did that show? :slight_smile:

Yes, the page is pretty clear now in the cold light of morning.
Still if i have any suggestions I'll send them on to you directly.

If i get some spare time, i might have a stab at doing a background guide for putting Radiance on 10.3.

For instance stuff like remembering to custom install Panther so you can put on X11 (i assumed wrongly that it was on the developer tools CD) - or if 10.3 has already updated itself to 10.3.1, doing the custom install directly off the 3rd system disk to avoid the software trying to reinstall 10.3.

cheers
alex

···

On 28 Nov 2003, at 7:01 am, Peter Apian-Bennewitz wrote:

alex Summerfield wrote:

Hi

Ok sorry if this is a stupid question but here goes...

Got a new HD and decided to do a clean install of 10.3 and to reinstall Radiance.
(I'd been using it without xwindows).

Initially just did radiance-rad3R5.tgz
- didn't worry about the auxilary files because apparently that's just 'images' (a major understatement).

well, mate. It says "e.g. images" not "just images" . Quote:

Steps to install Radiance from source:

1. download one CVS tar ball (stable or pre-release version)
      2. download tar ball of auxilary files
      3. unpack both tar balls (unpacks to directory /ray/) : |gunzip <
         /file/ | tar xf -|
      4. |cd ray; makeall install|

Let me know how the clearity of that could be enhanced and I add it.
The reason to split is that the "aux" files don't change as frequently as some parts of the source do. So, to be updated, folks just need the nightly "HEAD" version and not the whole bunch. (In fact only the diff patches are needed for those still behind a slow modem line).

Radiance installs and works fine - except.. missing all the useful stuff such as 'pfilt' 'pcond', and a zillion other goodies all in the rad3R5supp.tar.gz - but this doesn't have an install program.

OK so when the 2 downloads are unpacked i have 2 directories 'ray' and ' ray1' (auxilary files).

They both unpack into a subdir 'ray' . Your "ray1" is generated by your download/unpack program, presumably to intelligently avoid cluttering the already existing subdir 'ray' .

Almost seems as though I need to go through ray1 and shift the various programs across to their corresponding directory in ray. (can't be right, can it?).

I resorted to the LBNL download (which isn't split) but then hit a whole bunch of compilation errors (the installer is pretty different there too - for instance it doesn't ask for the users system or where library files should go). Spent a long time on trying to solve possible causes without much luck...

I don't know if and how the packages at LBNL are updated.

-Peter

--
pab-opto, Freiburg, Germany, www.pab-opto.de

A. J. Summerfield [email protected]
Faculty of Architecture, University of Sydney

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx