I am new to Radiance and trying to show the effect of light pipes in
daylight levels with ECOTECT and Radiance. I have created the building in
ECOTECT but unable to model the light pipes exactly. Is there any reference
document for the same? Or if anyone can guide me in detail how to model the
same?

Any help will be appreciated.

Many Thanks,

Bhartendu Awasthi

I haven't used Ecotect in a long time, so I don't really know what it means to "use Ecotect to simulate light pipes". I have used Radiance in the past to model them, usually using the photometric files supplied by Solatube. These files assume a certain amount of luminous flux, and apply that to a blobby distribution based on a straight tube of fixed length, and certain combination(s) of lenses at either end. Obviously this characterizes a certain time step, or season (see the manufacturers' websites for details). The flux can be scaled with a script to do a crude annual simulation, which I have done in the past.

Andy McNeil posted an exciting example of how you might use the new rfluxmtx tool in Radiance to do a proper climate based annual simulation based on daylight coefficients at the 2014 Radiance Workshop, which you can check out here (starting at slide 92):

- Rob

···

On 11/14/14, 3:09 AM, "Bhartendu Awasthi" <[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:

Dear All,

I am new to Radiance and trying to show the effect of light pipes in daylight levels with ECOTECT and Radiance. I have created the building in ECOTECT but unable to model the light pipes exactly. Is there any reference document for the same? Or if anyone can guide me in detail how to model the same?

Many Thanks,
Bhartendu Awasthi

Dear All,

Waiting for your response.

Regards,

Bhartendu Awasthi

···

Sent: Friday, November 14, 2014 3:39 PM
To: '[email protected]'
Subject: Light Pipes Simulation

Dear All,

I am new to Radiance and trying to show the effect of light pipes in
daylight levels with ECOTECT and Radiance. I have created the building in
ECOTECT but unable to model the light pipes exactly. Is there any reference
document for the same? Or if anyone can guide me in detail how to model the
same?

Many Thanks,

Bhartendu Awasthi

With respect to Radiance, I believe this question has been answered (or started) here:

http://radiance-online.org/pipermail/radiance-general/2014-November/010626.html

If you're looking for Ecotect-specific ideas for this, you may get more timely responses in an Autodesk forum or list.

- Rob

···

On 11/17/14, 3:05 AM, "Bhartendu Awasthi" <[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:

Dear All,

Regards,
Bhartendu Awasthi

To: '[email protected]<mailto:'[email protected]>'

Dear All,

I am new to Radiance and trying to show the effect of light pipes in daylight levels with ECOTECT and Radiance. I have created the building in ECOTECT but unable to model the light pipes exactly. Is there any reference document for the same? Or if anyone can guide me in detail how to model the same?

Many Thanks,
Bhartendu Awasthi

Hi Bhartendu,
Check the following article.

* CM Kwok and

* TM Chung

Computer simulation study of a horizontal light pipe integrated with laser cut panels in a dense urban environmentLighting Research and Technology December 2008 40: 287-305, doi:10.1177/1477153508094584

Regards

Veronica

Veronica Garcia Hansen
B Arch PhD
Senior Lecturer in Architecture- School of Design. Faculty of Creative Industries
Researcher QUT Lighting Group
Research associate Centre for Subtropical Design
Queensland University of Technology
Email: [email protected]<mailto:[email protected]> | Phone: +61 7 31381623
Publications: http://eprints.qut.edu.au/view/person/Garcia-Hansen,_Veronica.html

···

From: Bhartendu Awasthi <[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>>
Reply-To: Radiance general discussion <[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2014 15:35:13 +0530
To: <[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>>
Subject: Re: [Radiance-general] Light Pipes Simulation

Dear All,

Regards,
Bhartendu Awasthi

To: '[email protected]<mailto:'[email protected]>'

Dear All,

Many Thanks,
Bhartendu Awasthi
_______________________________________________ Radiance-general mailing list [email protected]<mailto:[email protected]> http://www.radiance-online.org/mailman/listinfo/radiance-general