instances' filename length limit (was: Re: replmarks in 3.6)

Did you ever get this sorted out? I asked for a reproducible example so I could debug the problem, but never heard back.

Hi,

so it seams that replmarks just produced something oconv can't handle here:

void instance l_walloverarcade.0.1
5 /Users/lars/Documents/projekte/sophia/SophiaCVS/working/radiance/radiance/Sophia/library/model_sophia_aisles_vaults_walloverarcade.oct -t -35.000000 58.000000 26.500000

Is there a limit for the octree path/filename? The instance element is the result of replmarks, and oconv gives me the following:

/opt/radiance_3.6/bin/oconv: fatal - (model_sophia_aisles_vaults_render.rad): bad arguments for instance "l_walloverarcade.0.1"

Now I copied my model's directory tree to a different location, so that path names are shorter, and everything is fine. However, this is bad for me, as I like to have the model in a cvs sandbox in a project directory in my home... not in the root directory :wink:

Thanks, CU Lars.

Hi Lars,

What you are running up against is the general limit to the length of individual words in Radiance scene files. This is set by the MAXSTR macro in src/common/object.h. You could change this macro value and recompile, but it should not be necessary. The instance type can give a filename minus the directory path and it will perform a search of all the directories in the RAYPATH environment variable. You can simply add the path(s) you want included to this variable and execute replmarks in the directory containing your instance octrees so that it produces only the final path component.

Is this the problem you were having with replmarks in 3.6, or is something else wrong as well?

-Greg

···

Date: November 26, 2004 4:58:28 AM PST

Did you ever get this sorted out? I asked for a reproducible example so I could debug the problem, but never heard back.

Hi,

so it seams that replmarks just produced something oconv can't handle here:

void instance l_walloverarcade.0.1
5 /Users/lars/Documents/projekte/sophia/SophiaCVS/working/radiance/radiance/Sophia/library/model_sophia_aisles_vaults_walloverarcade.oct -t -35.000000 58.000000 26.500000

Is there a limit for the octree path/filename? The instance element is the result of replmarks, and oconv gives me the following:

/opt/radiance_3.6/bin/oconv: fatal - (model_sophia_aisles_vaults_render.rad): bad arguments for instance "l_walloverarcade.0.1"

Now I copied my model's directory tree to a different location, so that path names are shorter, and everything is fine. However, this is bad for me, as I like to have the model in a cvs sandbox in a project directory in my home... not in the root directory :wink:

Thanks, CU Lars.

Hi!

the RAYPATH environment variable. You can simply add the path(s) you want included to this variable

Ah, of course... stupid me, thank you for that hint!

Is this the problem you were having with replmarks in 3.6, or is something else wrong as well?

No, I tracked the problem to this, now everything is FINE!

···

CU, Lars.

Lars O. Grobe wrote:

Is there a limit for the octree path/filename? The instance element is

AFAIK, there is a general limit for stringlengths of 128 characters, which is set somewhere by a macro (I think #define MAXSTR 128, try grep MAXSTR to find out where it lives, probably increasing just this number may help)

-cb