Image mapping

I'm interested in possibly doing a digital mockup of a store window. The window will have a translucent graphic applied to the glass, and will be lit from behind. I'm hoping to be able to scan an image from the store's catalog and map that to the glass window, or perhaps to a intermediate polygon modeled with trans. I'm expecting to get a sample of the graphic material so I can estimate the transmission; I'm wondering how to accurately simulate this in Radiance.

I know Carsten created a new image format and primitive (color4pict) to facilitate some of this, but the gist of how to do this escapes me at the moment. Could the group offer suggestions on how to accomplish this?

···

-------------------
    Rob Guglielmetti
www.rumblestrip.org

Rob Guglielmetti wrote:

I'm interested in possibly doing a digital mockup of a store window. The window will have a translucent graphic applied to the glass, and will be

Hi Rob,

you can use the classic mixfunc primitive for this, i.e. you mix your mapped image with a 'void' material.

void mixfunc transp_image
4 image void fore func.cal
n ..

'fore' gives the foreground coeffcient determined with help of a function in the cal file (if e.g you want the transparency to change over the surface..). Otherwise set 'fore' to a constant value and a '.' (point) for func.cal.

If you apply this mixed material to a trans base, make shure that the roughness parameter is zero to have the light really shine through it.

-cb

The 'mixfunc' primitive works if you can specify material using a function. In Rob's case, he might prefer either the 'mixpict' or 'mixtext' primitive.

-G

···

Date: December 2, 2004 1:20:16 PM PST

Rob Guglielmetti wrote:

I'm interested in possibly doing a digital mockup of a store window. The window will have a translucent graphic applied to the glass, and will be

Hi Rob,

you can use the classic mixfunc primitive for this, i.e. you mix your mapped image with a 'void' material.

void mixfunc transp_image
4 image void fore func.cal
n ..

'fore' gives the foreground coeffcient determined with help of a function in the cal file (if e.g you want the transparency to change over the surface..). Otherwise set 'fore' to a constant value and a '.' (point) for func.cal.

If you apply this mixed material to a trans base, make shure that the roughness parameter is zero to have the light really shine through it.

-cb

He might, but he's a little lost on both Carsten's and Greg's suggestions. This cal file/function stuff has always been a little dense for me. I will try to make some sense of this tomorrow, though. Thanks guys.

···

On Dec 2, 2004, at 5:35 PM, Gregory J. Ward wrote:

The 'mixfunc' primitive works if you can specify material using a function. In Rob's case, he might prefer either the 'mixpict' or 'mixtext' primitive.

=================
    Rob Guglielmetti
www.rumblestrip.org