Image mapping photos to the skydome

I'm interested in mapping a photo of an exterior site to a Radiance sky to make the interior renderings more realistic/interesting. One of the objectives is to demonstrate how the visibility to the exterior scene changes with different types of glass (as exported from LBNLWindow), depending on tint, vlt, and interior reflection. This is why having a realistic exterior scene is more compelling than whatever simplistic scene I would be able to model myself.

The only way I know of is to take a horizontal fisheye view from a rooftop and map it to the sky dome. Are there any other methods that people have used? Ideally ones that didn't require a fisheye camera lens?

Thanks,
Galen

Galen Burrell
Senior Consultant | Arup Lighting

Arup
560 Mission Street Seventh Floor San Francisco CA 94105 United States
t +1 415 957 9445 d +1 415 946 2367
f +1 415 957 9096 m +1 415 906 9191
www.arup.com/lighting<http://www.arup.com/lighting>

···

Galen,
If you know the camera lens angle of view you can simply use a rectangle at a distance.
You need the location in 3d of your POW when you take the photo.
Alternatively you could stitch a series of views to make a fisheye projection (for example with 'hugging’) or even better a cylindrical one.
Let me know if you need more on this
G

···

On 14 Oct 2014, at 17:57, Galen Burrell <[email protected]> wrote:

I’m interested in mapping a photo of an exterior site to a Radiance sky to make the interior renderings more realistic/interesting. One of the objectives is to demonstrate how the visibility to the exterior scene changes with different types of glass (as exported from LBNLWindow), depending on tint, vlt, and interior reflection. This is why having a realistic exterior scene is more compelling than whatever simplistic scene I would be able to model myself.

The only way I know of is to take a horizontal fisheye view from a rooftop and map it to the sky dome. Are there any other methods that people have used? Ideally ones that didn’t require a fisheye camera lens?

Thanks,
Galen

Galen Burrell
Senior Consultant | Arup Lighting

Arup
560 Mission Street Seventh Floor San Francisco CA 94105 United States
t +1 415 957 9445 d +1 415 946 2367
f +1 415 957 9096 m +1 415 906 9191
www.arup.com/lighting