horizontal band in large image

Hello,

I am getting a strange result in some high quality, high resolution renderings. I have posted one of the images here:

http://www.zrogers.fpcc.net/zrogers/images/node1_test.jpg

They are panoramic images, -vtc -vh 360 -vv 90, and I am running them at 12288 x 3072 resolution and reducing them by 1/3rd with pfilt. The top 2/5ths rendered as I had hoped but the bottom 3/5ths of the image seems to have run at very low quality and the color and patterns are off. Prior to running this image I had checked the model with some lower resolution rview images and everything seemed ok, I had a nice green grass map that is now showing up purplish in the image. The brick map I have on the walls and other textures and patterns render correctly above the line and do not show up at all below the line. I was not able to view the original 12288 x 3072 *.unf picture - it just showed up white (with exposure adjusted) and I had to pfilt by 1/3 just to get it to show up on my screen. So I'm not sure if this is a problem with the original image or with pfilt.

Any ideas what is wrong? It seems maybe its just a problem trying to run such high resolution since it was rendering ok with rview at lower resolutions. I don't think it was a problem with ram, since the process were taking up roughly 500MB and I have 1GB. This may be similar to the horizontal line artifacts discussed in Mark Stock's previous post (6-27-03). I think that problem was solved with the newest HEAD release of Radiance. Could this just a problem with the wonderful Windows version I am working with?

It looks as though I may have to rerun these, or atleast some of these. Could I reuse the ambient file or should a new one be created? Also, I could just rerun the bottom 3/5ths of the picture and use pcompos to put them together, correct?

Thanks!
Zack

···

--
Zack Rogers
Staff Engineer
Architectural Energy Corporation
2540 Frontier Avenue, Suite 201
Boulder, CO 80301 USA

tel (303)444-4149 ext.235
fax (303)444-4304

Hi Zack,

No doubt this is the same integer wrapping problem in the source testing routines. You will not be able to reuse the ambient file, and you'll have to rerender with the HEAD release to correct the problem.

-Greg

···

Date: December 30, 2003 7:46:42 PM PST

Hello,

I am getting a strange result in some high quality, high resolution renderings. I have posted one of the images here:

http://www.zrogers.fpcc.net/zrogers/images/node1_test.jpg

They are panoramic images, -vtc -vh 360 -vv 90, and I am running them at 12288 x 3072 resolution and reducing them by 1/3rd with pfilt. The top 2/5ths rendered as I had hoped but the bottom 3/5ths of the image seems to have run at very low quality and the color and patterns are off. Prior to running this image I had checked the model with some lower resolution rview images and everything seemed ok, I had a nice green grass map that is now showing up purplish in the image. The brick map I have on the walls and other textures and patterns render correctly above the line and do not show up at all below the line. I was not able to view the original 12288 x 3072 *.unf picture - it just showed up white (with exposure adjusted) and I had to pfilt by 1/3 just to get it to show up on my screen. So I'm not sure if this is a problem with the original image or with pfilt.
Any ideas what is wrong? It seems maybe its just a problem trying to run such high resolution since it was rendering ok with rview at lower resolutions. I don't think it was a problem with ram, since the process were taking up roughly 500MB and I have 1GB. This may be similar to the horizontal line artifacts discussed in Mark Stock's previous post (6-27-03). I think that problem was solved with the newest HEAD release of Radiance. Could this just a problem with the wonderful Windows version I am working with?

It looks as though I may have to rerun these, or atleast some of these. Could I reuse the ambient file or should a new one be created? Also, I could just rerun the bottom 3/5ths of the picture and use pcompos to put them together, correct?

Thanks!
Zack