HDRI capture program for Canon EOS cameras under Mac OS X

Yeh, that's why I was asking about a plugin API to add additional cameras. If I'm willing to do the work to get my D70 to work, someone else might be willing to to do a D200. Sure, you'd end up having to tack on 2 dozen shared libraries to support every camera, but I'd still say that for me to add support for my camera is less effort than to reinvent everything else Greg has done.

Trent

···

On 25-Jan-06, at 8:03 AM, Jack de Valpine wrote:

Hi Trent,

I believe one of the problems with the Nikons is that each camera uses a differint API. I quote below from an earlier post from Greg on the topic:

Rob G. asked about Nikon cameras, and we did look at them originally, but there were two things that led us to use the Canon 5D. One was the fact that we needed to capture full 180-degree circular fisheye images, and this requires a full-frame sensor. The second was the way Nikon created a separate SDK with a different programming interface for every model camera, which makes supporting more than one a real pain. It's a shame, though, because we have this really awesome f/2.8 Nikkor fisheye lens, and the adaptor ring that's supposed to mount Nikon lenses on Canon bodies doesn't work for this particular lens.

-Jack

It's a shame about Nikon being so difficult. I'd love to have support for my 5700 and FC-E9 spherical fisheye. It would make capturing 360 degree spherical HDRs so much easier.

Lisa

···

Yeh, that's why I was asking about a plugin API to add additional cameras. If I'm willing to do the work to get my D70 to work, someone else might be willing to to do a D200. Sure, you'd end up having to tack on 2 dozen shared libraries to support every camera, but I'd still say that for me to add support for my camera is less effort than to reinvent everything else Greg has done.

Trent

On 25-Jan-06, at 8:03 AM, Jack de Valpine wrote:

Hi Trent,

I believe one of the problems with the Nikons is that each camera uses a differint API. I quote below from an earlier post from Greg on the topic:

Rob G. asked about Nikon cameras, and we did look at them originally, but there were two things that led us to use the Canon 5D. One was the fact that we needed to capture full 180-degree circular fisheye images, and this requires a full-frame sensor. The second was the way Nikon created a separate SDK with a different programming interface for every model camera, which makes supporting more than one a real pain. It's a shame, though, because we have this really awesome f/2.8 Nikkor fisheye lens, and the adaptor ring that's supposed to mount Nikon lenses on Canon bodies doesn't work for this particular lens.

-Jack

--
MANGABABE MEDIA PRODUCTIONS
1433 - 43rd Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94122 USA
Email: [email protected]
Mobile: 415.260.9475
http://www.manga-babe.com

Hi Trent,

The other thing I didn't mention about Nikon is that they deliver their software APIs on about 15 CDs, after having you sign a long non-disclosure agreement and mailing it in, making it a bit of a pain to get started.

I wouldn't bother to make a plug-in architecture for what I have, but I'm happy to supply source code to anyone who is interested in developing an interface for their camera. There isn't much to the program, really. The only thing that it does that's worth anything is the code to extract pixels from the thumbnails.

John Mardaljevic pointed out that I misquoted the URL for the capture software, which is actually at:

http://www.anyhere.com/gward/pickup/HDRcapOSX.tar.gz

Also, I forgot to include the README.txt file, which I've appended to this e-mail for those who found the link and download what was there already. (I added it to the archive just now, so new downloads should get it.) As the README explains, only the CanonHDRcap application and the canoncap script are Canon-specific. Of these, the canoncap script is easy enough to modify, but you need a scriptable program to operate your camera remotely for it to do anything useful.

-Greg

README.txt (4.35 KB)

···

Date: January 25, 2006 12:01:10 PM PST

Trent

sure, although I might be leaving Japan soon (unfortunately) I`m sure we can always find someone to ask to

···

On Jan 25, 2006, at 1:16 PM, Gregory J. Ward wrote:

I may have to ask Santiago to help me if I ever need to communicate with headquarters....

hi,

i found this email address on a very old mailinglist relating to CanonHDRcap.
are you still doing any work with the Canon EOS Sdk on Mac ?
i'm working with it myself and as canon don't give support for it, i'm trying to locate other developers who are using it.

regards,

alex kent.

···

-----------------------
+44 (0) 7866 718074
[email protected]
http://www.alexkent.net