genBSDF Make it work in Windows 10

Hi everyone,

I am new here, I have worked previously with HB, now I want to have a deeper understanding of Radiance. I would like to make a perforate screen, for know it would be just circular holes of different sizes. I would like to create a BSDF material and loaded later to HB as *xml file. I’ve read that genBSDF allow to create an *xml file from a *rad geometry that can be created with a CAD program, such as Rhino.

Please let me know if I am mistaken in this argument. If not, how do I make genBSDF work in windows 10 command prompt? In which folder do I need to save the *rad files? I have tried to follow this tutorial but I got errors constantly, such as the ones shown in the attached screenshot.

Thanks.

1 Like

Hi!

The picture you sent states that “OBJVIEW” is not available. That is a
totally different program! GENBSDF does not require OBJVIEW… what do you
get when you try to run GENBSDF without checking your geometry through
OBJVIEW?

On the other hand, when I used GENBSDF in Windows I had to install a PERL
interpreter (I used THIS ONE http://strawberryperl.com/) because Windows
does not include one. After that, all went well!

Hope this helps,

German

1 Like

Hi @German_Molina!,

After installing Pearl interpreter, I have tried to run the programs “objview”, “getbbox” and “genBSDF” trying to follow the tutorial, without success as can be seeing in the screenshot.

Thanks for your help,

Julio

you mixed up letters in the gen_BSDF command… you used gen_BDSF instead…

1 Like

Hi Julio,

copying the text output into the mail would make it easier to follow up
than a screenshot, but anyway, lets try:

1. It seams that objview is not installed, or that the installation
    directory is not included in the PATH variable. How did you install
    Radiance?
  2. Are you sure that blinds.rad is in the current directory?
  3. As 1. and probably not specific to genBSDF.

Best, Lars.

1 Like

Hi @Lars_Grobe,

1. I installed Radiance time ago in C:\ directory, when I needed to perform Honeybee simulations, it has worked perfectly for all the functionalities (inside Honeybee) till now. I have also added the PATH variable.
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1KANnYa4r-KFlX2OOhEEO0VhiAI5Y7vIE
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1fPqHXWoZIUTwdDfVxNZ56qyxZ4NNSjKH
  2. Which is the right directory for blinds.rad?

Thanks

Thanks for the notice.

The file blinds.rad should be in the folder called “Student”. However, I’m wondering if it will work just fine if you include the filename extension (.pl) when using the Perl-based progams. So, for example type:

objview.pl blinds.rad

and

genBSDF.pl +f … blinds.rad > blinds.xml

On Windows 10 I get the exact same message as you when I exclude the filename extension.

1 Like

Hi @mikkelkp,

You were right, the extension was missing. Although now it is not able to find the file blinds.rad

I have copy the file blinds.rad to student folder previously.
Thanks for your help.

Oh, that was assuming the current directory was C:\Users\Student as in the image in this post. Basically, you can copy blinds.rad to whatever folder you wish, but you should change directory (cd command) to whatever folder blinds.rad is placed in - unless you type the full path of blinds.rad. So, start by typing:

cd C:\Users\Student

And then run your commands with objview.pl etc.

1 Like

Hi @mikkelkp,

Thanks for the hints, it really worked out. Now it seems it generates the *xml file but reports and error, and the blinds.xml file seems to be empty 0kb.
Please see attached screenshot.

Thanks again

Hello Julio,

I am attempting the same as you have asked here. Were you able to finally use a rhino .obj file to use genBSDF to make a .xml file?

This is a very old thread and unlikely to be of use regarding newer versions of the code. Please do not respond here, instead refer back to the alternate thread on this topic.

-Greg