focal distance (-vd length) and front clipping plane (-vo)

Hi Peter,

I never really thought about this case, but now that you mention it, having the fore clipping plane affect the view distance doesn't make a whole lot of sense. There are some changes I need to make to get this to work, which will take a while. I need to think it through.

Cheers,
-Greg

···

Date: November 24, 2012 3:17:04 AM PST

Dear Greg,

there's probably a reason why the focal length is measured from the front clipping plane and not from eye point ?
Shifting the front clipping (-vo) shifts the focus too (given as -vd vector length), which is not quite what one would expect, or is it just me ?
Example use: To set the focal point at an object behind a glass pane, the latter is first removed in rvu using -vo , then the front clipping in rpict is set back. -> mis-focused image.
(head release as of 19.11.2012)

TIA1e6
Peter

--
pab advanced technologies Ltd, http://www.pab.eu

Hi Peter,

I've checked in a new version of rpict.c that I'm hoping fixes this problem. Let me know if you get a chance to try it.

Thanks for spotting the problem!

Cheers,
-Greg

···

Date: November 24, 2012 1:17:04 AM HST

Dear Greg,

there's probably a reason why the focal length is measured from the front clipping plane and not from eye point ?
Shifting the front clipping (-vo) shifts the focus too (given as -vd vector length), which is not quite what one would expect, or is it just me ?
Example use: To set the focal point at an object behind a glass pane, the latter is first removed in rvu using -vo , then the front clipping in rpict is set back. -> mis-focused image.
(head release as of 19.11.2012)

TIA1e6
Peter