Falsecolor

Hi Folks,

I installed the latest HEAD yesterday, and learned in a round about way how -spec has been replaced with -pal spec (or hot or pm3d...)

When I errantly used -spec the error message indicated my mistake was in the -l or -log options. Reading the new man page showed me the way, but I suppose the preferred error message would have called my attention to the misuse of -spec

(Also not sure if reporting these small bugs to the dev list is a best practice, so advanced apologies if this is misplaced...)
Here are the commands I used and the error messages:

$ falsecolor -ip images/6_1_1200.hdr -n 8 -s 8000 -spec -l cd/m2 -log 1 > test.hdr
bad option "cd/m2"

$ falsecolor -ip images/6_1_1200.hdr -n 8 -s 8000 -spec -log 1 > test.hdr
bad option "1"

$ falsecolor -ip images/6_1_1200.hdr -n 8 -s 8000 -spec > test.hdr
Use of uninitialized value $scale in pattern match (m//) at /usr/local/bin/falsecolor line 42.
Use of uninitialized value $scale in pattern match (m//) at /usr/local/bin/falsecolor line 115.
Use of uninitialized value $scale in concatenation (.) or string at /usr/local/bin/falsecolor line 126.
Use of uninitialized value $value in multiplication (*) at /usr/local/bin/falsecolor line 273.
Use of uninitialized value $value in multiplication (*) at /usr/local/bin/falsecolor line 273.
/var/folders/pd/z41h8vkn5ks9d47kx028xvkw0000gn/T/S49kzBYNXL/pc0.cal, line 2:
scale : ;
         ^ unexpected character
/var/folders/pd/z41h8vkn5ks9d47kx028xvkw0000gn/T/S49kzBYNXL/scol.hdr: bad picture size
         ^ unexpected character

Thanks!
Mike

Michael Martinez ~ Associate
LOISOS + UBBELOHDE
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
1917 Clement Avenue Building 10A
Alameda, CA 94501 USA
510 521 3800 VOICE
510 521 3820 FAX
www.coolshadow.com

Hi Michael,

It appears that whenever you enter "-s*" you break the argument vector parsing. The scale option is expected as:
-s [some number]
or:
-s [a(uto)]

In other words, falsecolor is looking for a "-s", followed by a space, followed by either an integer (or the letter "a" to indicate autoscaling).

When you enter –spec (or –sun, or –shit, or –supercalifragilisticexpialidocious, for that matter), you confuse the argument vector parser because it's expecting a space after the –s. So instead of being caught by the "bad option" case, "-spec" causes an error, and whatever option follows "–spec" is presented as the culprit, but only because it's the next option in the argument vector. I agree, it's a misleading error.

In some more other words, I know what the cause is, but not the cure. Axel (Andy? Greg?), can you help? We need some Perl and Regex assistance here.

- Rob

Rob Guglielmetti
National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL)
Commercial Buildings Research Group
15013 Denver West Parkway MS:RSF202
Golden, CO 80401
[email protected]

···

On 3/21/13 3:16 PM, "Michael Martinez" <[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:

Hi Folks,

I installed the latest HEAD yesterday, and learned in a round about way how -spec has been replaced with -pal spec (or hot or pm3d...)

When I errantly used -spec the error message indicated my mistake was in the -l or -log options. Reading the new man page showed me the way, but I suppose the preferred error message would have called my attention to the misuse of -spec

(Also not sure if reporting these small bugs to the dev list is a best practice, so advanced apologies if this is misplaced...)

$ falsecolor -ip images/6_1_1200.hdr -n 8 -s 8000 -spec -l cd/m2 -log 1 > test.hdr
bad option "cd/m2"

bad option "1"

Use of uninitialized value $scale in pattern match (m//) at /usr/local/bin/falsecolor line 42.
Use of uninitialized value $scale in pattern match (m//) at /usr/local/bin/falsecolor line 115.
Use of uninitialized value $scale in concatenation (.) or string at /usr/local/bin/falsecolor line 126.
         ^ unexpected character
/var/folders/pd/z41h8vkn5ks9d47kx028xvkw0000gn/T/S49kzBYNXL/scol.hdr: bad picture size
         ^ unexpected character

Thanks!
Mike

LOISOS + UBBELOHDE
Alameda, CA 94501 USA
510 521 3800 VOICE
510 521 3820 FAX
www.coolshadow.com<http://www.coolshadow.com/>

Chaps,

Rob is correct about the -s trap of the argument parser in falsecolor.pl

This is fixable, and I'd be happy to do this. To my excuse, however, I must say that the arg parser in any of the csh scripts in Radiance, and probably in many of the Perl scripts, too, is not terribly sophisticated. It does its job, but not all possible errors are caught.

The arg parser in Radiance's Perl scripts is free-form, rather than relying on a module. This is both a deliberate design decision, but also born out of necessity: The Perl parsers are all based on GNU syntax, which Radiance doesn't follow. We looked into this, but it turned out that modifying existing 'bullet proof' modules to deal with all the quirks of Radiance command line args is simply a pain in the neck.

Existing Perl parsers are good with -s or --short-option style things. When you throw -a+ vs -a- at them, they just give up. Making this work properly is a helluva job.

So should -spec be treated as -pal spec (probably not), or should it throw up a more meaningful error message e.g. 'deprecated'?

Cheers

Axel

> It appears that whenever you enter "-s*" you break the argument vector parsing. The scale option is expected as:

···

-s [some number]
or:
-s [a(uto)]

In other words, falsecolor is looking for a "-s", followed by a space, followed by either an integer (or the letter "a" to indicate autoscaling).

When you enter –spec (or –sun, or –shit, or –supercalifragilisticexpialidocious, for that matter), you confuse the argument vector parser because it's expecting a space after the –s. So instead of being caught by the "bad option" case, "-spec" causes an error, and whatever option follows "–spec" is presented as the culprit, but only because it's the next option in the argument vector. I agree, it's a misleading error.

In some more other words, I know what the cause is, but not the cure. Axel (Andy? Greg?), can you help? We need some Perl and Regex assistance here.

- Rob

Rob Guglielmetti
National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL)
Commercial Buildings Research Group
15013 Denver West Parkway MS:RSF202
Golden, CO 80401
[email protected]

On 3/21/13 3:16 PM, "Michael Martinez" <[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:

Hi Folks,

bad option "cd/m2"

bad option "1"

^ unexpected character
          ^ unexpected character

Thanks!
Mike

LOISOS + UBBELOHDE
Alameda, CA 94501 USA
510 521 3800 VOICE
510 521 3820 FAX
www.coolshadow.com<http://www.coolshadow.com/>

This is fixable, and I'd be happy to do this. To my excuse, however, I
must say that the arg parser in any of the csh scripts in Radiance, and
probably in many of the Perl scripts, too, is not terribly
sophisticated. It does its job, but not all possible errors are caught.

Agreed, I will say that Ruby has a nice class for this stuff, but in the
end it's probably not much more robust than whatever Perl's got going on.

Existing Perl parsers are good with -s or --short-option style things.
When you throw -a+ vs -a- at them, they just give up. Making this work
properly is a helluva job.

So should -spec be treated as -pal spec (probably not), or should it
throw up a more meaningful error message e.g. 'deprecated'?

I vote a deprecated error, along with a pointer to the newer -pal option &
syntax.

Thanks Axel!

- Rob

···

On 3/22/13 3:14 PM, "Axel Jacobs" <[email protected]> wrote:

Agreed - a pointer to the newer -pal option would be great, it might help a few souls like myself discover the new colorscales. Best part of my week (well, my Radiance week) was stumbling upon the new heat map scale.

MM

···

On Mar 22, 2013, at 2:47 PM, Guglielmetti, Robert wrote:

syntax.

Michael,

could you give this a try and let me know if it works for you. I'm not saying 'read the man page', because I'm not sure how this is (or is going to be) done on Windows. All right?

I have taken the liberty to add a new '-pal eco' which I promised to submit almost a year ago.

There is also a new -cp (posterise) option that has been in HEAD for a while. Just needs mentioning on the man page.

@Greg,
please give us your opinion on the current implementation. I'm touching up the man page now. It needs the -cp option, and also the sponsor of the -pal eco option. Will report back....

Cheers

Axel

falsecolor-aj-20130322.pl (10.3 KB)

···

On 03/22/2013 09:47 PM, Guglielmetti, Robert wrote:

syntax.

Thanks Axel!

- Rob

Hi Axel - Thanks! This works, and seems like a good error message.

Hopefully I'm not the only -spec fan out there with out of date binaries, and others will benefit from this update.

MM

···

On Mar 22, 2013, at 3:17 PM, Axel Jacobs wrote:

Michael,

could you give this a try and let me know if it works for you. I'm not saying 'read the man page', because I'm not sure how this is (or is going to be) done on Windows. All right?

I have taken the liberty to add a new '-pal eco' which I promised to submit almost a year ago.

There is also a new -cp (posterise) option that has been in HEAD for a while. Just needs mentioning on the man page.

@Greg,
please give us your opinion on the current implementation. I'm touching up the man page now. It needs the -cp option, and also the sponsor of the -pal eco option. Will report back....

Cheers

Axel

On 03/22/2013 09:47 PM, Guglielmetti, Robert wrote:

syntax.

Thanks Axel!

- Rob

<falsecolor-aj-20130322.pl>_______________________________________________
Radiance-dev mailing list
[email protected]
http://www.radiance-online.org/mailman/listinfo/radiance-dev

All right, lads,

> Hopefully I'm not the only -spec fan out there with out of date

binaries, and others will benefit from this update.

I'm sure they will. When I talked Greg into this new -pal option (which is a lot more flexible), we weren't too worried about compatibility. You've just reminded us that old habits die hard. Now, if only there was a way of killing off this dreaded Desktop Radiance....

There is also a new -cp (posterise) option that has been in HEAD for a
while. Just needs mentioning on the man page.

Oops, it is mentioned.

@Greg,
please give us your opinion on the current implementation. I'm
touching up the man page now. It needs the -cp option, and also the
sponsor of the -pal eco option. Will report back....

@Greg:
Done a few tweaks on the man page. See attachment. F+P are mentioned as sponsors now, and there is a -palettes example. Please edit as required.

Cheers

Axel

PS: Since Easter is approaching, I thought I might as well tell you about this on-topic Easter egg in Radiance:

falsecolor -ip my_image.hdr -s Axel | ximage

Yezzzzz! Thought you'd like it! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

As always, see source code for explanation.

falsecolor-aj-20130322.1 (4.15 KB)

Hi group, This should be a simple one...

When computing a falsecolor image from an irradiance pic... What is
the image displaying? :slight_smile:

Illuminance perpendicular to the surface? Or are these some sort of
averaged illuminances?

Thanks, Mark

Mark de la Fuente wrote:

Hi group, This should be a simple one...

It is, therefore I can answer it. (albeit simply, others could elaborate...)

When computing a falsecolor image from an irradiance pic... What is the image displaying? :slight_smile:

Assuming you haven't filtered it or multiplied it in some way, a standard irradiance pic is showing illuminance, perpendicular to the surface, in lux.

···

----

Rob Guglielmetti

e. [email protected]
w. www.rumblestrip.org

Thanks Rob.