dynamic range - RGBE

Thanks again,

well.. I have a couple questions again, on this
1. In the paper "High Dynamic Range Image Encodings" is mentioned that RGBE format cannot cover the visible gamut.
I can not understand this since RGBE supports 76 order of magnitudes and our eye can see luminances between 10 ^ 6 - 10 ^-7 that is ontly 13 orders of Magnitudes.
The only thing that I can think is that propaply RGBE can not encode small steps of change for luminance. Is that the reason that RGBE cannot cover the visible gamut?

2. and my second question is what we mean by relative precision of an hdr image format? Is the smallest step (change of lumminance) that format supports? (and why we measure it in %?)
If it is so, when the value of relative precision is greater means that we have greater precision (smaller step) or the opposite?

Despina

Hi Despina,

This is all explained in detail at:

http://www.anyhere.com/gward/hdrenc/

-Greg

···

Date: March 30, 2005 1:45:18 AM PST

Thanks again,

well.. I have a couple questions again, on this
1. In the paper "High Dynamic Range Image Encodings" is mentioned that RGBE format cannot cover the visible gamut.
I can not understand this since RGBE supports 76 order of magnitudes and our eye can see luminances between 10 ^ 6 - 10 ^-7 that is ontly 13 orders of Magnitudes.
The only thing that I can think is that propaply RGBE can not encode small steps of change for luminance. Is that the reason that RGBE cannot cover the visible gamut?

2. and my second question is what we mean by relative precision of an hdr image format? Is the smallest step (change of lumminance) that format supports? (and why we measure it in %?)
If it is so, when the value of relative precision is greater means that we have greater precision (smaller step) or the opposite?

Despina