cygwin and vmware

I have very good experiences with vmware from www.vmware.com. It never crashed and I started to use it 5 years ago.

Martin, Penn State

I've found that Radiance on Cygwin is great for learning and for setting up your Rad's and Rifs. But when I got to do a large rendering, I then hand it over to a G4 Mac (since I don't have a Linux box anymore). It's just been wonderful for learning, but I too have had the segfaults sometimes when dealing with large RAD files. I've taken to exporting my models from Revit to AutoCAD then using a LISP routine to then export each layer out to a separate RAD file to try to get around this, and it works pretty well.

How is the speed with VMWare? I'd love to use it rather than trying to make my laptop a dual-boot, however I do a lot of heavy 3D and need whatever speed I can get sometimes...

Thanks!

Jeffrey McGrew

Martin Moeck wrote:

···

I have very good experiences with vmware from www.vmware.com. It never crashed and I started to use it 5 years ago.

Martin, Penn State

------------------------------------------------------------------------

How is the speed with VMWare? I'd love to use it rather than trying to
  make my laptop a dual-boot, however I do a lot of heavy 3D and need
  whatever speed I can get sometimes...

Thanks!

Jeffrey McGrew

I use vmware on my laptop (1.7GHz, 512MB RAM) and on the 3GHz office PC. There is no slowdown - the speed is the same as if you would run it on native Linux/Unix. The setup on laptops is no problem whatsoever. vmware recognizes the graphics card automatically. Heavy 3D doesn't need more than 150 MB RAM, so I run Photoshop and Radiance even on the laptop at the same time. Actually, I use vmware more than Linux dualboot on the office PC, because you always need some microsoft programs.

Martin

Martin Moeck wrote:

I use vmware on my laptop (1.7GHz, 512MB RAM) and on the 3GHz office PC.

Thanks for the tip! Wow I'll have to look more into this, for the CAD/3D/BIM program I use in Windows-only, but I use a couple of things on the Linux side too. Being able to run both at the same time would be very keen.

Thanks!

Jeffrey