Converting files

Hi

I would really like to get into using Radiance software for daylighting purposes, however am unsure how to convert files to use with the software. Currently our office uses Vectorworks (we are a MAC based office), and we would like to convert 3D models to use for daylighting studies with Radiance software. I am unsure how to convert to a file that Radiance can use. Are you aware of how I can explore the file? Have others ran into this issue before? I have heard people have used sketchup models to be used with Radiance.

Any information you could provide me with would be VERY VERY helpful.

Rachelle Lemieux

If you can export these formats: 3ds, obj, dxf, there are tools to convert to Radiance.
dxf2rad
3ds2rad
obj2rad
obj2mesh

Or into Sketchup or Blender that have a Radiance plugins

Rob F

···

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Fri 9/2/2011 12:31 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: [Radiance-general] Converting files

Hi

I would really like to get into using Radiance software for daylighting purposes, however am unsure how to convert files to use with the software. Currently our office uses Vectorworks (we are a MAC based office), and we would like to convert 3D models to use for daylighting studies with Radiance software. I am unsure how to convert to a file that Radiance can use. Are you aware of how I can explore the file? Have others ran into this issue before? I have heard people have used sketchup models to be used with Radiance.

Any information you could provide me with would be VERY VERY helpful.

Rachelle Lemieux

Rachelle,

I think I'd put the question to Vectorworks support: it may be a FAQ for them. Here's a few thoughts off the top of my head, but more questions than answers, I fear.

Radiance accepts input in its own surface model format, which is relatively straightforward. Radiance also supports import from the old Alias>Wavefront ("obj") format, which unfortunately does not seem to be supported by Vectorworks. You will have to do your own material format conversions; the material models used by rasterizing renderers are of limited value in physically-based rendering and simulation.

To convert geometry, you would have to go through some intermediary program, either a conversion tool, another CAD system, or a home-brew Vectorworks script. SketchUp Pro is just about the only CAD system choice I can think of on Mac--it works, but can produce messy geometry and may have problems with some complex curved geometries. If you have any Windows systems around, it appears that there are a number of converter choices: 3D Object Converter (claims to directly support Radiance format), Quick3D, AccuTrans, PolyTrans, and so on. Rhino is an excellent Windows CAD tool generally and relatively inexpensive.

Let us know what you end up doing!

Randolph

···

On 2011-09-02 12:31:28 -0700, Rachelle Lemieux said:

To use

--
Randolph

Hi Rachelle,

I have exported from Vectorworks some years ago. Vectorworks supports a bunch of 3d formats, so this used to be no problem. As far as I know, unfortunately, there is no support for wavefront obj. So you should try either to export

1) 3ds, which can be converted to mgf (using 3ds2mgf) and then to rad (mgf2rad)

2) dxf, which can be converted to rad using Georg Mischler's dxf2rad (available at http://www.schorsch.com/en/download/dxf2rad/ )

There is also IGES-support in Vectorworks, so it may be an option to store all model data in IGES (which is a full 3d CAD standard, so the models are not a mess of triangles but keep all the information) and develop a toolchain to integrate IGES into your Radiance environment. There is IGES-support in a wide range of open-source, scripteable tools now.

Cheers, Lars.

···

Hi

I would really like to get into using Radiance software for
daylighting purposes, however am unsure how to convert files to use
with the software. Currently our office uses Vectorworks (we are a
MAC based office), and we would like to convert 3D models to use for
daylighting studies with Radiance software. I am unsure how to
convert to a file that Radiance can use. Are you aware of how I can
explore the file? Have others ran into this issue before? I have
heard people have used sketchup models to be used with Radiance.

Any information you could provide me with would be VERY VERY
helpful.

Rachelle Lemieux