-ar, -ad, -as, ahh $#*@!

Aha! It's not a bug, it's a "feature!"

The reason this shows up in rpict but not in rview is because rpict resorts to a specialized set of routines (in srcdraw.c) to draw sources that are small in the rendered image. This overrides the illum calculation for low-angle, small sources, who are deemed too small to sample correctly on the image plane. Rather than substituting the alternate material, which would normally happen for view rays, drawsources() sends a "shadow" ray to the source that is being drawn. This invokes the illum rather than its substitute, giving very different results if the substitute is a poor one. In other words, you saw it before in your IES sources because the source distribution either didn't match the simulated source. It shows up well in this example because your alternate material is a dark diffuse one rather than something emitting.

I could eliminate illum's from the drawsources() calculations, but I think the net result would be worse than what we currently have, as illum sources then would be poorly sampled on the image plane when they got to be small and/or thin.

-Greg

···

Date: Sun Sep 14, 2003 12:52:56 AM US/Pacific

Ok, so after mentioning the discrepancy between rpict and rview I
actually ran my new test scene through rpict, and bingo!

Maybe it's possible, but within the last hour I couldn't manage
to get the effect in rview. I also found that the appearance
together with mapping data was a coincidence, the bug triggers
with plane jane illums as well.

I'm appending a very simple test case using the rpict defaults
(plus -ab 1 for visuals). Something interesting I also just
detected is that the size of the source appears to make a
difference.

Since this now turns into a development issue, I'm crossposting
to the dev-list. I suggest that everybody involved also reply
there.