Ambient file corrupted?

I'm seeing 'warning - ambient file "sens.amb" corrupted near character 229' on rsensor runs. Stock 4.0 Radiance, FreeBSD 7.3, AMD Operton. Do I need to worry about this? Any idea what's causing it?

···

--
Randolph M. Fritz • [email protected]
Environmental Energy Technologies Division • Lawrence Berkeley Labs

Yes, you should worry about it. An ambient file can be corrupted by poor synchronization between processes that are sharing it. If your file is corrupted at character 229, that's right near the beginning of the file, which means the whole thing is probably trashed and should be removed.

-Greg

···

Date: October 12, 2010 5:46:49 PM PDT

I'm seeing 'warning - ambient file "sens.amb" corrupted near character 229' on rsensor runs. Stock 4.0 Radiance, FreeBSD 7.3, AMD Operton. Do I need to worry about this? Any idea what's causing it?

--

Thanks, Greg. Is there any way to debug this further?

Randolph

···

On 2010-10-12 17:54:10 -0700, Greg Ward said:

Yes, you should worry about it. An ambient file can be corrupted by poor synchronization between processes that are sharing it. If your file is corrupted at character 229, that's right near the beginning of the file, which means the whole thing is probably trashed and should be removed.

-Greg

--

Hi Randolph,

You can look at what's in the corrupted file using the lookamb utility. You really need to figure out what corrupted it, though, which means repeating the operations/runs you did on this file and seeing if it happens again.

-Greg

···

Date: October 13, 2010 10:09:10 AM PDT

Randolph

-Greg

--

Thanks; that makes sense. The problem seems to occur consistently with rsensor. Is rsensor just not supposed to use ambient files? Or would you like me to look further?

Randolph

···

On 2010-10-13 10:57:32 -0700, Greg Ward said:

Hi Randolph,

You can look at what's in the corrupted file using the lookamb utility. You really need to figure out what corrupted it, though, which means repeating the operations/runs you did on this file and seeing if it happens again.

-Greg

Date: October 13, 2010 10:09:10 AM PDT

Randolph

-Greg

--

--
Environmental Energy Technologies Division • Lawrence Berkeley Labs